Caramel Popcorn is a confection made of Kernel Popcorn and Caramel Sauce. The sticky sauce of Caramel, little complicated, is however, easy to master.The idea is to caramelize your granulated sugar in lowest heat to attain flavors properly. Caramel burns as fast as it cooks, so you would need to know when to stop the heat and the process of Caramelization.This recipe will give you a Sweet Crunchy Popcorn which is a perfect snack, when binge watching a show or just a movie!
- Oven (optional)
- Gas/Induction Stove
- Sauce Pan (Vessel)
- 1 packet microwavable popcorn or 10 cups of popcorn
- 50 gms salted butter
- 1 tbsp baking soda (soda bicarbonate)
- 3 cup white sugar (granulated is better and ideal, else any sugar will do)
- 2-3 tbsp sea salt (optional)
- Take a large vessel or a sauce pan on the lowest heat setting. Add 3/4 cup of sugar and 50 grams butter, stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Switch off the gas and add the 1 tsp. of vanilla essence (extract) & 1 teaspoon of baking soda and stir well, until combined.
- The texture of the sauce would accentuate leaving a bit thicker sauce along with a better and a lighter color. Add in the Sea Salt (optional) here as well.
- Now while it is still hot and runny, add your popcorn in the same vessel and slowly mix all the caramel as evenly as you can.
- Lay out the popcorn on a flat sheet-like a baking sheet or even a cooling rack and allow it to cool (5-10 Minutes)
One thing which I personally like to do is mix in Salted and Caramel Popcorn. In that case, just divide the recipe by half and mix both types of popcorn at the end when the Caramel Popcorn has cooled down. If you have left your Caramel Popcorn outside and want to regain its crunchiness, just put them in the oven at 160 degree Celsius (on a fan setting) for 5-10 minutes, or until done. How to Store? You can store this popcorn in a Ziploc Bag or an Airtight Container for up to 2-3 days but be sure to reheat them in the oven to have the freshness in flavor. Hope you enjoy this recipe at home. If you become a fan of Caramelization, here are some Similar Recipes for you try out :
More Like This: