Are you sick of paying extra for guac at Chipotle?? This recipe literally only requires few ingredients and few minutes of your time, to make a guac which tastes better than the one at Chipotle. For this recipe, I use a different spice mix. Every guac recipe have the same basic 4-5 ingredients but only the seasoning changes. After a lot of batches, I have best landed a mix of these spices & seasonings, Salt, Cajun & Cayenne Powder. How to choose the correct avocado? It's a fruit which requires serious planning, yes it does. It's color ranges from a solid light green to a mushy deep dark purple. Now, never go for the extremes especially the latter one. Now, if you are making it 3 days later, go for a dark green. If you're making the spicy dip at home tomorrow, look for a very dark green turning purple (semi soft) kind avocado. An avocado for today would be a purplish brownish one, more soft than hard but not mushy! Hope this helps to clarify which avocado to choose from. What not to do when making guac? Don't use anything made of Steel, it will make it bitter. Only use wooden equipment or a spatula while working with this tricky fruit.
- Big Mortar (Optional)
- Wooden Mashing Equipment
- Wooden Spoons (Utensils)
- 200 gms Avocado - Peeled, Pitted and Mashed (approximately 1)
- 40 gms Lime Juice (2 1/2 tbsp)
- 50 gms Onions, finely chopped (approx 1. medium sized onion)
- 40 gms Fresh Coriander, chopped (2 1/2 tbsp)
- 25 gms Tomatoes, deseed and chopped (1/2 a medium sized tomato)
- Salt to Taste
- Cajun to Taste
- Cayenne Powder to Taste
- 15 gms Jalapeño (approx 1)
- Take a big bowl (a Mortar or a stone bowl is preferred), add your avocado(s) here and smash them. You can add smashed avocados also. Dont add the nut right now.
- Add the Onions, Tomatoes and the Jalapeño. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Season it with all three seasonings, keep tasting at this point.
- Add the Lemon Juice and mix well.
- Finally, add some chopped coriander and mix.
- Transfer it to another smaller bowl. You can put the avocado pit (nut) in the guac now, to reduce the discolouring.
- Cling wrap the bowl and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
Is this the most elegant dip out of the Mexican Trifecta of Dips? Let me know! This is MY guac recipe and it's packing the heat!
More Like This: