You must be wondering, why would someone make bagels at home? I have a couple reasons why, a) If you don't good fresh & soft bagels nearby. b) If you feel bagels can be too big and loaded with breads & carbs and you're looking for a smaller wholesome alternative .I love bagels, I honestly feel they're the best kind of sandwiches there can be! But I belong to both Category A & B. It really doesn't take that long to make Bagels at home. You would need to understand how to Water Bath these savory donuts (?), so we can jump ahead and get started with this recipe. How to create a Water Bath & to Poach Bagels? Water Bath involves a Big Vessel (3/4th filled with Hot Water), 1/4 Cup Honey, 1 Tsp Baking Soda - all mixed together on High Flame. When the water is boiled, the bath is prepared for poaching. You would need to put your Bagel (right before putting it in the oven) in the vessel.The bagel would be floating at this point. Your bagel would need to sit in water for 2 minutes, 1 minute on each side.What's Gluten as an Ingredient?While the All-Purpose Flour has a bit of Gluten as a constituent. Few types of breads like Bagels need more binding, that's where extra Gluten comes in. Not a lot, just a tbsp. is required but it really helps. You can get this Gluten at Amazon or even at Urban Platter. It goes by the name Vital Gluten. Let's get started now!
- Big Vessel
- Stand Mixer (Optional)
- Gas/Induction Stove
- Weighing Scale
For the Dough
- 250 gms All Purpose Flour
- 5 gms Gluten
- 150 ml Water (as required)
- 5 gms Yeast
- 4 gms Salt
- ½ tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Castor Sugar
For the Water Bath
- 2 Quarts Water
- ¼ Cup Honey (60g)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Start by preparing the dough. Whisk together a bowl of Yeast, Sugar & a bit of Water and let it rest to froth.
- Using a Stand Mixer or a Flat Surface, make a well of Flour & Gluten, and add the Yeast mixture to it. Start Kneading
- Keep Kneading until all water is incorporated. Add Salt and Olive Oil and knead into a tight ball. If you think your dough is sticky, add flour to it. Knead till it forms a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts, of 70 grams each. Make all the rounds into tight roundish balls (like the shape of bagels). Keep them on a Well Oiled tray in the Oven (Switched Off) for Proofing.
- After 45 mins, the bagels should be bigger. Poke a hole in between all of them using your fingers and making a round gap in between all of them. Let them rest for 15 minutes more. Start making the Water Bath.
- Poach bagels for One Minute on each side and place on a Baking Tray. More about Water Bath, explained above. You can put toppings at this point now. (From multigrain seeds, to sesame to oregano)
- Bake at 180° Celsius for 15-20 mins or until done!
This is how you can make lighter & fresher -preservative free bagels at home. Store them in a completely sealed bread box or in ziploc bags in a cool & dry place. There is so much you can do with bagels. You can have it with just Cream Cheese or even with Chicken, Deli Meat and Eggs.
More Like This