Often mistaken for cookies, I would describe Madeleines as bite-sized cakes! Unlike cookies, they are soft and more muffin like. The batter too is extensively rich as is made with a good amount of Eggs & Butter to keep these mini-cakes soft, simple and delicious. Perfect for Tea & Coffee Lovers - these mini-cakes are that and much more than that. They can be used as easy dessert options as well, cause they already come divided! Few things to keep in mind while baking a Cake:1. Temperature: Use room temperature ingredients, especially the ones you keep in the fridge, like milk, eggs, butter. Room temperature will guarantee better results.2. Don't Over mix: Avoid using a whisk attachment, use a paddle or spatula again. Over mixing your batter can lead to a less fluffy cake. Mix it only till when it's required.3. Avoid Opening the Oven too much: Every time you open the oven to check on your cake, you change the temperature of the oven, which can lead to cracks on the cake.4. Sieve your Dry Ingredients: Try and sieve all your dry ingredients, from flour to coffee powder. It will lead to a cleaner batter and softer cake.YieldThis recipe will yield you batter, enough for 18-20 madeleines. I am attaching the pan I used for the Madeleine below. You would need to cook it in two batches. To fill the Madeleines, use a tbsp. (tablespoon) worth per piece. The rest will rise. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08XVTC59C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Is Chilling Really Required?Having tried two batches of this recipe as well - with and without chilling. It's safe to say that- chilling these mini cakes does help a lot. Keeping the batter in the refrigerator for a mere 30 minutes, makes these bite-sized cakes softer, fluffier, long lasting and also better shaped. So if you do have those 30 minutes, use them. If you don't - trust me they do not disappoint and are still soft and delicious! Golden SugarThis is a mixture of Sugar, Brown Sugar and Cinnamon. I used this mixture to dust sweetness on these simple madeleines.Shelf LifeEverything can't be a plus side. These cakes take a hit when it comes to their shelf life. Best way to have them is actually fresh out of the oven. Their texture and softness gives all the feels. I would also not recommend you to keep these madeleines for more than 4-5 days. However, to regain it's freshness - simply put them in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds at 600W, until they are soft and warm again. Moving onto the recipe now!
- Stand Mixer (Optional)
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Madeleine Mold or Pan
For the Madeleines Batter
- 110 g or ½ Cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 100 g or ½ cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 115 g or 1 cup All Purpose Flour or Cake Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- Golden Sugar to sprinkle
For the Golden Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Start by melting the Butter and keep it aside to cool-down while you prepare the rest of your batter.
- In another bowl, or in a stand mixture with a Whisk attachment, beat eggs & sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one by one here.
- Next, add the Vanilla Extract and mix well. Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients- flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt and sieve.
- Using a Paddle Attachment or a Spatula, add in the dry ingredients into the mixture slowly and start folding until combined.
- Once combined, add in the melted butter in 3 batches and continue to mix until all the butter is well mixed. Transfer to a bowl, cling wrap and refrigerate.
- Once 20 minutes are over, preheat the oven to 170°C and line your mold or pan with butter (even if it's non-stick) using a brush.
- After 10 more minutes, transfer the batter into Madeleines Molds, with every portion being worth a tablespoon of batter. The rest will rise and spread. You can keep the remaining batter back in the fridge, till the first set is being baked in the Oven. Repeat for second batch.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The madeleines are done when the tops spring back after lightly pressed with your finger. Invert the pan onto the counter. Transfer the warm madeleines to a wire rack to lightly cool.
- Mix together the listed ingredients for Golden Sugar, and dust off these Madeleines with the Cinnamon Sugar mix. Have warm and soft!
Another sweet and simple recipes for the books. While these Madeleines, look super soothing - they are tastier to eat. For more such recipes, click on the links below.
More Like This: