Sweet sweet watermelon flavored shaved ice, that's a granita for you! And you can do so much with IT, it's not even funny. If you're new to the world of Granita and live in somewhat a super warm and sunny place, you are missing out. Here's exactly how you can escape Summer Heat. What is a Granita?In simplest language, Granita is shaved ice which can be made in many flavors. It's more like a Sorbet, but more icy and with ice crystals. Its super easy to make, requiring puree of your fruit or flavor along with Granulated Sugar and Water. In this case, I have chosen Summer's Delight Watermelon as my Granita Flavor. My sister would have absolutely hated me to make this Watermelon but it's just it's flavor you know? So Distinct yet impactful, went excellent with Mint Leaves and Fresh lime Juice. Try it out before the season ends. What can you do with Granita?This though did come to my mind, what do I do with so much Granita. I precluded since it's frozen, it can last for weeks to come. So I was like okay, summer's kind of long in India - what's the harm?But I didn't end up knowing, that it'll be finished the same weekend itself. I made pitchers of mojito with it (recipe below), shared with my friends & family like shaved ice in coupe glasses (as pictured above), also made some shooters with them. Making shooter were easy, just needed a tbsp. of granita with 30 ml of your preferred liquor, and ooh what a brunch delight! What is the Granita Mojito?There was so much Granita guys, I decided to make a pitcher out of it ( or maybe 2? ) . Like the name suggests, Mojito, I added bunch of Mint Leaves, with Lemon Juice. I added lots of Granita and a decent amount of Vodka (I was out of White Rum)! I topped the cocktail up with some Soda and Water and it was just, well, wiped out in 20 minutes, literally asking me to make a second pitcher! It's a very easy recipe, with no tips or tricks required. So just getting onto it.
- Food Processor/Blender
- Loaf Tin/ Cake Tin (any size)
To make the Granita
- 700 g Watermelon Chunks deseeded
- 1 cup Water
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 4-5 Sprigs of Mint
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
To make the Mojito
- 150 ml Vodka or White Rum or to taste
- 1 cup Watermelon Granita
- 8-10 Sprigs of Mint
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 200 ml Soda
- 100 ml Water
- Ice Cubes
To make the Watermelon Granita
- Start by heating water in a sauce pan, along with sugar and mint leaves. Give it 5 minutes, and let it come to a boil. Remove from the pan once all the sugar is dissolved and the simple syrup is ready. Let it cool and discard mint leaves prior to use.
- Add chopped chunks of Watermelon into a blender and blend well. Strain the mixture properly to make a smooth puree out of the giant fruit.
- Mix the watermelon puree along with cool sugar syrup and lemon juice and transfer the mixture to a Loaf Tin or a Cake Tin, depending upon your preference. It may freeze in 4 hours, but I would recommend keeping it overnight.
- To use, simply scrape the shaved ice using a fork and store it in the freezer again after each use. To learn how to make Mojito from the colored shaved ice, follow the recipe written below,
To make the Watermelon Granita Mojito
- In a pitcher, add ice cubes, followed by lots (or a decent amount) of Vodka or White Rum. Add in some Mint Leaves as well. If you have muddler, muddle the mint leaves in the Vodka for a better flavor.
- Next, add lemon juice and watermelon granita, mix well. Follow it up with Soda and Water, mix well and check for taste. Add more Granita if you want it sweeter, add more alcohol if you want it stronger. However you like it!
This sweet, yum cocktail makes for a delight during Sunday Brunches as well! Alternatively, you can just add a spoon worth of Granita along with 30 ml of liquor in a shooter glass, and enjoy a Sweet Shot out of it! You heard it here first! Don't forget to tag me on Instagram @boy.eatsworld Cheers and Salut!
More Like This: