Now, this is my sister's go-to starter at any Chinese Restaurant. This is my take at Prawns Salt & Pepper. Just to warn you, you'll require a fair amount of Spring Onions, Garlic & Pepper to make this recipe right. What kind of Prawns should you Use?I can't stress this enough, use larger Prawns for this recipe. Prawns should be deshelled but the tail should be intact. Shrimps won't do justice to this recipe, although you can try and make Shrimp Pakoras out of this recipe. What you should be looking for are either Giant, Jumbo or King Sized Tiger Prawns, deshelled, washed but with tail. What is Tempura Flour?It's a typical Japanese Batter, used by Japanese to fry their food, giving rise to recipes like Ebi Tempura Sushi, Asparagus Tempura, Golden Fried Prawns etc. You can get Tempura Mix easily in markets, or online. I am leaving a link here for the mix being used by me. The batter needs to be prepared with Cold Water to enhance crispiness. To make Tempura Flour, combine equal quantities of Rice Flour, All Purpose Flour & Corn Flour. More on this down below.https://urbanplatter.in/product/urban-platter-japanese-style-tempura-batter-mix-400g/It's not necessary to double fry this recipe, just single fry it and drop it to the wok immediately after the first fry to retain the crispness and texture. Fried GarlicDefinitely a tedious task if you are frying garlic at home. Although I recommend buying them too, just because of the convenience of it! Wasting so much to fry small pieces of garlic may sound absurd. You'll need a lot of these for this recipe as well! Moving onto the Recipe
- Deep Frying Pan
- 600 g Prawns with Tail (Quantity can vary on size of Prawns)
- 4 tbsp Tempura Flour
- 3 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp Chopped Bird's Eye Chilli
- 5 tbsp Chopped Spring Onions (both the Whites & Greens separately)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Bell Pepper (Yellow & Red)
- 2 tbsp Fried Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 2-3 Red or White Peppercorns
- Sesame Seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Sesame/Vegetable Oil
- Start with putting your Deep Fryer on high heat. Add oil to it, to heat. Simultaneously, prepare a mixture of 3 tbsp. Tempura Flour, Cold Water and Soy Sauce. Mixture should be thick and lump free, feel free to increase quantities of Flour or Water if need be. Keep extra 1 tbsp. of Tempura Flour on a plate as well.
- One by one, dip each piece of prawn into the wet batter, followed by a dry rub of Tempura Flour and then dropping it onto the Deep Frying Pan. Repeat for all Prawns, you can double fry as well if you want to.
- Once the prawns are frying, put a wok on high heat. Add some Oil and let it heat up just a bit. Next add garlic + ginger + birds eye chili. Follow it up by adding some Spring Onion bulbs (white part) and bell peppers. Add Salt + Pepper and throw in some peppercorns as well.
- Add in your prawns and mix well. Finally add fried garlic along with spring onion greens & sesame seeds. Check for seasoning and taste. Make sure the salt is enough! Have fresh & crispy! Serve immediately.
Craving restaurant like Prawns Salt & Pepper. Here's the recipe for it. For more Prawn Recipes, click on the links below!
More Like This: