A very spicy sauce, from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. A spoon of it can go a really long way, here's the recipe for Schezwan Sauce. Here's how you can use this spicy sauce! Have it with: Chilli Cheese Toast, Salami/Other Sandwiches, Marination of Chicken, Red Chilli Thai Curry Paste, Schezwan Noodle or Rice, as a Chinese Sauce and even as accompaniments to Dumplings and Momos. What are Dried Kashmiri Chillies? These are really spicy dried Red Chilli's. These are somewhat spicier than Thai Bird's Eye Chilli's as well. The major constituent of Schezwan Sauce is a paste made of these Dried Red Chilli's. Simply deseed these dried chili's and put in a bowl with hot water for an hour to soak completely. We deseed them to reduce their level of spiciness otherwise the sauce would be made too spicy. Do not throw the soaked water, as it will have a lot of flavor left over from the dried red chilli's.
- Gas/Induction Stove
- 200 gms Chilli Paste (Take a lot of Dried Kashmiri Chillies, Deseed them and soak in hot water for an hour and then blend well, using a food processor)
- 30 gms Celery (Finely Chopped)
- 2 pcs Star Anrise (Whole)
- 30 gms Garlic, Finely Chopped (2 Tbsp)
- 15 gms Ginger, Finely Chopped (1 Tbsp)
- 20 gms Onion, Finely Chopped (2 tbsp)
- 15 ml Vinegar (1 Tbsp)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Salt to Taste
- 30 ml Tomato Ketchup (2 Tbsp)
- Vegetable Oil as Required
- To begin with, heat the oil in wok and then to it add the garlic, ginger, star anise and the celery.
- Once the ginger and the garlic is cooked, add onions and cook till translucent.
- Now add the blended Kashmiri chilli paste and cook it well, till it leaves oil and changes its colour to red and separates from oil. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes to reach this stage.
- To finish off the process, add the tomato ketchup. Add some salt and brown sugar as well, the sauce will be very spicy so beware before Taste Check!
How to Use: Whenever you are using this sauce, please keep checking heat level. I will not recommend using more than 1 tbsp at a time. This sauce has a lot of uses but and is very versatile. Just use in limits. How to Store: Since you will yield this sauce in a big batch, refrigerate in an air tight container and keep using it from the refrigerator. It will stay good for upto 2 months in the refrigerator.