This recipe taking me back to my Penn State days, is very close to me. My must-have chicken at Panda Express (my work place for 3 years), mushroom chicken is everything right.
Made with chicken thighs, mushrooms and zucchinis – this chicken is prepared in a brownish gravy and it hits all the right places. Let’s get more into it.
This dish is made using Boneless Chicken Thighs. This part of the chicken leaves out a less-chewy and more flavorful piece, which is both soft and fleshy. I have made this dish with Chicken Breast and it doesn’t do justice to the recipe at all.
The latter made a very chewy dish which didn’t induce any flavors correctly and also took more than double the amount of time to cook. The best way to cut the chicken is in to thin and flat pieces. The thinner the chicken would be, the more flavorful it would be (kind of like a broader and bit thicker pad thai noodles)
Which Mushrooms should I use?
Simply slice a standing mushroom into 5-6 pieces leaving out a lot of good looking mushrooms perfect for the recipe.
Which Zucchini is best for this Recipe?
Zucchini’s tend to take lesser time to cook as they become soft quickly so it’s best to add this vegetable a bit towards the end.
Asian Food x @boy.eatsworld
For garnishes, I have used greens of Spring Onions and Sesame Seeds – both are great, and advisable. You may add the Spring Onion Greens right after the flame is off and give it a gentle mix.
While for the sesame seeds, slightly toast the seeds on low flame (the color would just be turning darker at this point) until you can smell it and add it to the chicken.
- Sauce Pan/Wok
- 450 g Boneless Chicken Thighs cut thin and flat
- 3 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 220 g White Button Mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 Zucchini sliced medium thin
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- ¼ cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce light
- ½ tsp Ginger thinly minced
- Spring Onions greens
- Sesame Seeds toasted
- In your marination bowl, toss chicken with corn starch and keep aside.
- In a wok, add both Canola and Sesame Oil, and heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on each side - minute on each side. Give chicken room to breathe and cook.
- Remove the chicken when cooked , add bit more oil followed by mushrooms. Next add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Once done, add zucchini and give it a good mix. Cook for a couple of minutes and add back the chicken here.
- Add in the soya sauce, sugar and vinegar and stir to coat. Once done, add in the spring onion greens and top up with toasted sesame seeds! Serve fresh
Someone once rightly said “a recipe has no soul, you must bring soul to the recipe”, so here I am, trying to bring my passion for food into easy to make recipes from around the world.
My name is Sohail Nath and I welcome you to my happy place, @boy.eatsworld.
This blog, my creativity’s nest covers travel inspirations, authentic yet homemade recipe and food blogs.